PF-040 (Pins, Forward Controls, 0.040) is a set of elegantly simple, and superbly crafted AR15/M16 pivot and take down pins. Machined from 17-4 PH SS bar stock and QPQ finished, these pins are 0.040 longer than TDP spec pivot and take down pins.
PF-040 pins can be aptly described as "reverse extended", in that they're longer on the left side of the receiver, the additional length of the take down pin doesn't interfere with ambidextrous safety operation. When PF-040 pins are pushed in from the left side, the +0.040 transforms to extra length and grasping area on the right side pin head, which combined with their silky smoothness, makes pulling the pin a cinch.
PF-040 has the same elegant and unadorned pin heads design that is in line with our design philosophy which prioritizes functionality over aesthetics. PF-040 right side pin heads (when installed on a receiver, with the muzzle pointing away) are flat, with a small 45 degree chamfer. Serrations or dimples on the right pin head would be useless, so they're completely plain. There is a small dimple on the other side of the pin head, the tip of bullets (up to 9mm) can be used to push the pins in on tight fitting receivers.
PF-040 can be purchased with the optional takedown/pivot detents (4) and springs (3) kit. The odd numbers of included components probably deserve some explanation. Even for experienced AR builders, it's not uncommon to launch the pivot pin detent into the twilight zone. It's also fairly easy to bend the take down pin detent spring during installation of the end plate and castle nut. So the optional detents and spring kit includes 4 detents and 3 springs to preempt losses and damages. If you don't end up needing and using all of them at once, the kit is reasonably priced, and always good to have on hand to grow into another AR :)
PF-040 pin diameter adheres to TDP dimensions and tolerances, 0.2485 +0.000/-0.005.
Made in USA.
PF-040 may not work "PDW" stocks that have bars overlapping the take down pin holes.
May, 2023 production PF-040s began to be shipped with the tool-less, easy install feature, US patent US 11,215,212 B2.
To install the pivot pin:
1. Install the spring and detent in the lower's pivot pin detent and spring hole.
2. Insert the PF-040 pivot with the A groove facing the detent, make sure the detent is inside the A groove.
3. Push the pivot pin in mid way till the detent is near the B groove. Once the detent is aligned with the B groove, rotate the pivot pin 90 degrees counter clock wise till the detent is inside the pivot pin's main detent groove.
To remove the pivot pin:
1. Pull the pivot pin outward mid way, till the detent is aligned with the B groove.
2. Rotate the pivot pin clock wise by 90 degrees, pull the pivot pin outward till it clears the receiver. Be sure to have a backdrop for the spring loaded detent in case it's forcefully ejected by its spring.
Both the pivot and take down pin can be installed by conventional means.
For removal, the new PF-040 pin doesn't have a pin hole on the opposite side of the groove (used for removing the pivot pin), removal procedure must be followed as outlined above.
product can expose you to chemicals including chromium and metallic nickel,
which are known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more
information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.